Tuesday 7 January 2014

Thoughts

Holidays are a time for meditating, cogitating, thinking about what the new year will bring. I am a thinker, a philosopher. Friends say I am different, almost bohemian in my attitudes and several fail to understand my bluntness and honesty. I am beginning to enjoy being seen this way and hope that I can develop it further over the next few years.


Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom
Anam Cara was a book I discovered on my return from Ireland and Britain in 2012. Searching for a way to discover transposing my kiwi spiritual being onto my newly absorbed celtic insights I borrowed Anam Cara from the library and ordered a copy even before I had finished the borrowed one. I also ordered several of his other books through Fishpond and am at present reading Eternal Echoes: Exploring Our Hunger to Belong. Although I no longer see myself as Christian and these books are written by a scholarly catholic priest they touch my heart. His poetry echoes the western coast of Ireland, I have visited the Aran Islands and was moved by its peace and soul driven lifestyle. I have so much reading on the go that books such as these are read during the heat of a beautiful summer afternoon, notes made, dreams envisioned.


Front Cover
As I work out at the gym and just before going to sleep I am listening to Stolen Innocence on my VRS. The story of an English solicitor wrongly accused of murdering her two baby sons and her subsequent conviction and incarceration for three years is gripping. Brought up to trust in the law and incredibly naive despite years of legal training this couple went through a nightmare, some of it of their own making after speaking so openly and trustingly to police. A lesson for us all that long held beliefs in the honesty of the legal system are not always correct. Wrong assumptions can destroy lives, families and eventually marriages. 

No comments: