Saturday 22 August 2015

Summer Grass

I have done lots of reading this week due to so many poor programmes on TV. I am still trying to finish 'Smell of Summer Grass' by Adam Nicolson. I am finding the descriptions of his farm as nature impacts on him a little difficult and slow. I have read, or at least started to read 'The Sea Room' by Adam Nicolson but never got engaged with the book. Having just searched for it on my bookshelf I am uncertain as to where I have put it. Perhaps I will have another go. Just found it! I need to keep better track of where I put 'real' books. The print is now much too small so I will have to purchase it for my kindle.

I have put a stop on purchasing books but if I find a free one I think I will enjoy I still download it. I have also recently discovered that I can now delete books from my device but they remain in my kindle account. This feature is new as previously one had to delete the book from the Amazon account page and then go back and delete in kindle which meant they were gone forever. 

I need to get reading, and writing, especially the backlog of both books, magazines and cookbooks. I had hoped to take all of today off but have decided to go to the Lehar concert at the University so will take tomorrow afternoon off if at all possible. 

I bought this book free yesterday.
 Teacher: One Woman's True A... 

 Have you ever wondered what life is like on a modern day First Nations Indian Reserve? Inspired by an extraordinary, true story this book showcases life on a remote First Nations Reserve in Northern Canada. When Hillary is offered a teaching position on a remote, First Nation Reserve called Pleasant Valley, she is unprepared for the amazing adventures ahead. Teaching on the Reserve was only one aspect of the remarkable experience. Although she loved teaching many grade five students in a busy rotation schedule, some features of her new job were terrifying and did not bring out the best in people. Drawing upon her personal journal entries, Hillary recounts stressful situations caused by small aircraft not landing due to low ceiling heights, pilots announcing good news and bad news. Read from the comfort of your favorite chair, what it was like for her to discover an unannounced Native man in her living room feigning an eye injury so that he could use her bathroom and steal all her hairspray! "Teacher!" parachutes you onto a remote, First Nation Reserve that is more akin to a ghetto experience, complete with boil only water warnings, rather than the dream job hoped to obtain after graduating from Teacher’s College. (less)

I love books where caring and intelligent women change their whole lifestyle and are challenged by a situation which is different but makes them look inward at past and future decisions.

I am having a few issues with my computer and managed to hide all my icons. I think I need to leave well alone. I did find them but wish I could put up icons for word and today I lost the email icon.

Jay's citronella collar is working well and he only barks once or not at all. I forgot to put it on Friday afternoon and he did bark but not as badly as previously.

Spring is coming, today is a complete contrast to yesterday which was freezing, cold and damp. The sun is shining and a great day seems to be in the offing. I am going to a Lehar concert later, looks to be very enjoyable.

No comments: