Monday 2 November 2015

Life is Frenetic

I feel very guilty for not writing in this blog more often at present. I know some people only blog once a month or less but I like to put up a couple of posts a week. Blame it on work; the Measuring Accessible Journeys project has taken up a huge amount of my time, much of it unpaid.

I still take time in the evening to read - my VRS and Kindle are working overtime. I have almost finished listening to 'Julia's Chocolates' which has been at times bawdy and others sad, an interesting introspective look at how women interact and support each other.

Last night I finished reading:
 Born for Life: A Midwife's Story  

A nurse aide position in the local maternity annexe at the age of sixteen gave Julie a love for being with women during labour and birth and caring for mothers and their babies. 

Life could not have been happier until the tragic death of her own baby in the first hour of life, led to depression, loneliness and despair. 

This true story tells of Julie’s struggle to triumph over adversity and follows her journey to fulfill her dream and become the midwife she was born to be. 

I emailed Julie after I closed the book and discovered she is now living in Palmerston North. This book helped me remember all the small things that happened to us after having a baby in the 1970's, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Some of the language was very basic but all in all an enjoyable read.


I have now started:
 Hope in a Ballet Shoe: Orphaned by war, saved by ballet: an extraordinary true story

Growing up in war-torn Sierra Leone, Michaela DePrince witnesses atrocities that no child ever should. Her father is killed by rebels and her mother dies of famine. Sent to an orphanage, Michaela is mistreated and she sees the brutal murder of her favourite teacher.

But there is hope: the Harmattan wind blows a magazine through the orphanage gates. Michaela picks it up and sees a beautiful image of a young woman dancing. One day, she thinks, I want to be this happy.

And then Michaela and her best friend are adopted by an American couple and Michaela can take the dance lessons she's dreamed of since finding her picture.

Life in the States isn't without difficulties. Unfortunately, tragedy can find its way to Michaela in America, too, and her past can feel like it's haunting her. The world of ballet is a racist one, and Michaela has to fight for a place amongst the ballet elite, hearing the words "America's not ready for a black girl ballerina".

And yet...

Today, Michaela is an international ballet star, dancing for The Dutch National Ballet at the age of 19.

A heart-breaking, inspiring autobiography by a teenager who shows us that, beyond everything, there is always hope for a better future.
 


As I only started this last night I am not sure of the storyline from my viewpoint but I have always loved ballet so assume it is a story that will enrich my life.

Spring is now here and the garden is full of roses, irises, honeysuckle and lots of lovely cottage flowers. It looks lovely and the scents are very special. Jay is enjoying it and loves lying in the sun on the newly mown lawn. 

No comments: