Friday 11 December 2015

Sadness

I have not posted in a while due to work pressure and huge achievements with our CCS project Measuring Accessible Journeys. Having received many accolades both nationally and internationally we are now invited to speak to the OECD. A huge honour.

Also, I am very sad as my old retired guide dog, Chocolat, is most unwell. Yesterday she had surgery to remove a lump I had found on her side but it could not be taken out as it was attached and through to her abdominal wall. I now await pathology reports to see what the next step is.

Reading has taken a big back step while life has been so hectic, I have only just finished 'The Little Paris Bookshop' and have now started reading on my Kindle:

 Naked: Stripped by a Man and Hurricane Katrina

A house and marriage violently disintegrate. Left along to raise an infant in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina while her husband lives it up in Miami Beach, Julie is surrounded by the rubble of her life - stripped bare by love and loss. It is a time of unprecedented clarity. She must acknowledge her own pain, while sharing the heartache of others in her community who are also rebuilding their lives. NAKED is a powerful true story of loss but also of triumph, a path to true love of self. Struggling to find meaning in her journey, Julie shares a remarkable story with humor and tenderness.

A member of my WLM group, Julie's story has been on my kindle for several months. I am always interested that members such as her, well educated and worldly savvy write such popular and plain English books. Not sure why I expect more, imagine such clever women would write more academically and in more depth. 

An inability to concentrate for any length of time has meant magazines on my VRS are taking precedence as well as in real life. I have a huge pile of unread magazines I hope to get through this weekend which is given over to minding Chocolat.  

No comments: