Sunday 24 January 2016

Temperatures

It is far too hot to write, blog or work. I worked all morning but have spent the afternoon dozing in the heat and trying to clear out my inbox. Having made very firm decisions to write, paint, read and lots of other things including meditation to relax I am adhering to it reasonably well. These very high temperatures combined with high humidity make it almost impossible to do much in the afternoons.

So I have been reading. I finished 'All the Light We Cannot See', the best novel I have read in years and was then faced with the difficult decision of what to read next. Deciding something shorter and more memoir related would be a good choice I started:

Pound for Pound: A Story of One Woman's Recovery and the Shelter Dogs Who Loved Her Back to Life

The brave, inspiring story of one woman's recovery from a debilitating eating disorder, and the remarkable shelter dogs who unexpectedly loved her back to life.

“The dogs don’t judge me or give me a motivational speech. They don’t rush me to heal or grow. They sit in my lap and lick my face and make me feel chosen. And sometimes, it hits me hard that I'm doing the exact thing I say I cannot do. Changing.”

Pound for Pound is an inspirational tale about one woman’s journey back to herself, and a heartfelt homage to the four-legged heroes who unexpectedly saved her life.

Due to having such a large amount of time to read I finished this book in just over a day. I felt it was a little focused on her interactions with various dogs and nothing will make me change my mind about pit bulls but it shows how a passion can change a life for the better.

My next choice, given the hundreds of books I have on my Kindle app, was "Golden Eclipse: Heart Dog'.

GOLDEN ECLIPSE: HEART DOG --- A True Story

Once in your life you may have a pet that is so much more. This animal will become one with you. Their heart and soul, and yours, will somehow join. Without words you both instinctively know what the other’s needs are, and you will live to take care of them. This is the true story of my "Heart" dog, Eclipse. Originally written as a way of expressing my grief over her loss, it was meant to be read only by myself. She was such an amazing girl, that I felt her story needed to be shared. All proceeds from this book will be donated to animal rescue. 

Please do not feel that this book is one that will make you cry throughout. Yes, tears may be shed. (Nothing wrong with that. It saves you money on eye drops) Eclipse's story will also bring many smiles to readers of her story. It's hard for one to hear of the joy she brought to the world and not be touched by it. This amazing rescued golden retriever came into my life at seven years of age, with cancer. She was used for breeding, and then went to a second owner. I had the honor of being her third, and “Forever Home!” She was to become a registered therapy dog, who worked in Hospice and nursing home settings. This book gives concrete examples of her amazing nature, what I consider to be her philosophy of life, and the absolutely tremendous difference she made in the lives of those she met, including myself. 
You will read of such heart touching moments, as when she attended wakes, memorial services, and even a funeral mass. 
You will even get to meet Mozart. Yes, he lived with Eclipse! 
After reading this book my hope is that you will start to live your life like a Golden Retriever.....Minus the shedding of course, which could make you a bit unpopular. 
{At the end of January 2014 I edited the book slightly by gettng rid of the typos. Now there are no messtakes.....Well, maybe some....


Yes, this book is full of lots of mistakes, both spelling and grammar, but it does not detract from the story of the author's journey with his wonderful golden retriever, Eclipse. I read this in less than 24 hours as I was so enthralled with his minute descriptions of hid dog's behaviour and its wonderful temperament.
A book I would highly recommend.

I am now reading: 

 This book looks to be both healing and informative. I need to sit quietly and absorb its wisdom in the hope I can learn how to relax through its pages.


 
 




 

No comments: