Thursday 30 June 2022

Families

 

I have almost finished reading this book which is riveting. I am actually listening to it as a talking book and have found it keeping me awake as I avidly hear the story of Adeline's life as a Chinese girl. While we all know that girls have not been valued in China, her story is one of the few well written accounts of life as a female I have ever read. Despite obviously being an unwanted daughter, her father did deign to spend his copious amounts of money on sending her away to boarding school and university. I think the outcome was unexpected to him as she developed a career of which even he seemed proud. The behaviour of her step mother makes me hope she came to an untimely end, the last couple of hours of reading should answer this question for me. 

This is a well written book which explores family, rejection, jealousy, and the power wielded by wealthy Chinese families in Hong Kong, particularly over family still in China. Definitely a book worth reading for the knowledge gained. I have to say her father reminded me of someone, it seems that male behaviour is often similar the world over.

I have two other books on the go, one on Alexa and one on my kindle. I also subscribe to and read digital magazines so I must catch up and read some of those over the weekend. 

Happy reading everyone!     

No comments: