Saturday 25 October 2014

Holiday Weekend

I did not realise I had not posted since Tuesday. I am slowly gaining back my health. On Wednesday I attended a Waikato University graduation for a student I have been mentoring and tutoring. There was nothing of note that makes it memorable, the guest speaker went on for too long, except perhaps for the sign outside which directed graduands in one direction and the pubilc in another. One is inclined to wonder about the level of education the graduates had received given the spelling mistake.

I have just finished the book on Katherine Mansfield, I am sure this provided the script for Bliss, yet I found it more interesting and of course was fascinated by the wonderful famous literary people she knew. 

Last night I began reading, on my VRS, One Night in Winter.
One Night in Winter: A Novel   
I know little about this book yet as I have only listened to a couple of hours and it has begun with a horrific shooting in Moscow and then a teenage student unable to believe his luck at being given a free place in a school attended by the elite of the communist party. While the review says it is about forbidden love I imagine I am going to be taken on a journey behind the Stalinist era and all the subterfuge this brought both to Moscow and the world. It should be an interesting read.



This is one of those places I have always dreamt of visiting but have never managed to, although I did come close in 2008. Obtaining a visa was difficult beyond belief. Perhaps one day I may manage to travel on the Trans Siberian Railway and arrive in Moscow in style.

I am continuing with my Kindle book about the man travelling around Tuscany on a bike and have recognised the names of a few places he has visited. It brings back memories not only of the beauty of Tuscany but loud people on bus tours, heat and pizza which did not live up to my expectations.

I now have to read a Communications Plan, a very long winded document which does little to engender confidence in my position in the role of ensuring this is explained to the public. Not a very good weekend read but perhaps better than being ill!
   

No comments: