Saturday 18 October 2014

Unpacking

No, I have not been away on an unexpected holiday. I am unpacking 60 years of life events and I am beginning to suspect that finally letting go of issues such as adoption, divorce, unhappy marriage, suicide, loss of grandchildren and more means my body is relaxing and hence I am becoming ill all the time. My head cold seems to have turned into bronchitis and back I will have to go to the Doctor. I find it incredibly depressing that ridding myself of anxiety and stress about life events is making me so ill.

Reading has not been a priority, sleep has been my number one destination. I have begun a new talking book;
 Katherine Mansfield: A Secret Life
and while it seems to be the script for the documentary which was shown on TV1 a couple of years ago it is a worthy read. Katherine was both gifted and haunted, never settled, always searching for something she could not define - like many creative people. Well written if lacking in a little depth this book is great company during nights when coughing rules my life.
 



Having read with fascination for many years of people winning the prize to spend a year in Katherine Mansfield's house in Menton, France, I was very surprised when looking for images to discover what a large town it is. One's perceptions of towns and cities in Europe are often mistaken, many places are much smaller than imagined from here in the Antipodes. I thought Menton was a small French village, I am now quite overwhelmed at its size and obvious look of Rivieria wealth.

The WLM group on Facebook recommends lots of books, many of which I bypass, some of which I ignore. Today the recommendation was for a book called The Secret Piano which I read about 12 months ago. While there is not supposed to be any self promotion I am sure that authors alert other members to specials and arrange for them to put up the posts.

I am off to a Waikato University graduation on Wednesday for Albert. I felt sorry for him with no one to enjoy this special moment of his life with him so offered to go not expecting his wife to fly in from the Solomons. It will be an interesting afternoon.

No comments: