Monday 13 October 2014

Ill Again

I now have a really bad head cold and cough, the first since I came to live in Hamilton 10 years ago. I am just living for the day I can feel well again, being sick makes me feel so useless.

I have finished Civilization, Twenty Places on the Edge of the World by Steve Braunias.
Civilisation: Twenty Places on the Edge of the World
Steve visits many of the smaller and out of the way places in New Zealand as well as Apia and Antarctica. He meets the odd and different, people who are the backbone of our rural communities. It was one of those unable to put down talking books, perhaps just as well given that I have lain awake for ages two nights with a runny nose. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys stories of our rural life and the type of people who make us New Zealanders.

An Italian Journey ~ A Harvest of Revelations in the Olive Groves of Tuscany ~ A Pretty Girl, Seven Tuscan Farmers, and a Roberto Rossellini Film ~ Bella Scoperta
I have just started reading this on my Kindle, the story of a man who cycles around Tuscany for 7 weeks. I have reached the stage where he is picking olives by hand on an organic farm and learning Latin, Italian and a way of life most people can only begin to dream of. I deleted a lot off books of my kindle this morning for fear I would use up too much of the available space. I purchased
 Hickory Road Ramblings, Essays and Photographs on Life and Gardening
written by a writer, gardener and artist. Described as 'ramblings', I am sure it will be very interesting. While going through my kindle app I discovered that I have still not read many of the books I bought at the beginning, even the first book I bought is still sitting there waiting for me to devour it.

Now that my eyes seem to have improved I am hoping I can spend more time reading over the next few weeks as I approach a month of mixed busy and quiet times. I need to relax and de-stress again, perhaps the reason I now have a cold - I have let go!

No comments: