Tuesday 10 March 2015

Odd Weeks

I had not realised how long it was since I had posted on my blog. Not only have I been unwell and unable to read using my kindle, but I have been very busy working on a literature review, writing and attending meetings at CCS Disability Action. I have to travel into the city to attend two meetings at the City Council today, a busy but interesting lifestyle.

Last night I finished
March
I found much of it difficult to follow and almost deleted it from my VRS. The last few chapters were the only ones with any real plot, despite its auspicious awarding of a Pulitzer prize. Perhaps it bears more allegiance to American readers who would better understand the nuances and history. I much prefer Brook's other novels.

  
I was not sure if I would get past the first few pages of this book on my VRS as it is narrated by a man who seems to think the blind are also uneducated. It is read in such a patronising manner that I think following it to the end may be difficult.
Barth is taken in by two blind spinsters who are music teachers following the Nazi invasion of Holland. He also pretends to be blind and is secreted away by the two wonderful women until there is a raid on the house and a Jewish woman also being hidden is captured. As long as I can stand the narrator this may prove to be a very interesting book. 

No comments: