Saturday 18 July 2015

Creative non-fiction

I am hoping to get back to my writing today. Yesterday was spent pouring over writing websites, magazines, ideas and wondering why I always put it off, I am not getting any younger. I need to write with a voracity I have never done before and pour words onto pages every day. Wish me luck!

I finished 'Love by Deception' on Friday and wondered why this woman let so many useless men into her life. Did she have low self esteem, was she so gullible that her own self did not matter or was she just sex mad. I can totally understand one mistake, maybe two if on the rebound, but 4 men who controlled and abused her? I also wonder how they managed to move on so quickly to their next victim who would also be subjected to their lies and control. While she admits to writing this to assuage herself of these men and her experiences it does read a little like a self pity party.

Moving on, I trawled through the many books on my kindle and chose;

Until Tuesday: A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Retriever Who Saved Him

This very moving story of an American soldier suffering from PTSD and the dog who literally saved his life and sanity is wonderful, particularly as Tuesday looks so much like my Jay. I was very amused after reading the description of Tuesday's eyebrows going up and down in curiosity to watch Jay perform exactly the same movement while hoping I would feed him some popcorn. The internet and Facebook have several mentions of the credibility of this story. This may be so, but no one could be diagnosed with PTSD without interrogation and consultation with several doctors. I am glued to this story and am a bit disappointed that it is so fine today or I could have used the dreadful weather as an excuse to read.

Again I have been taken in by advertisements on the WLM page and bought two very interesting looking books this morning. They are;
From a Venetian Courtyard
This book consists of 12 short stories set in this beautiful city. The stories are spread over time and include a blind woman learning her way around Venice by feel, death, romance and lost spirit. It even has a cat!

 The Venice Project
This is the story of two IT technicians from Edinburgh who were made redundant and decided to move to Italy. This book chronicles their trials and tribulations and is apparently a really funny read. I am looking forward to starting it.

Last night both my dogs were constantly barking at something in the garden behind my rosemary bush and refused to come in. Further examination found a cat hissing and snarling at them. Having forced both dogs to come in I pulled the curtains and assumed they had given up. During the evening the rain forced the cat, or perhaps it was just a kitten, to move into Chocolat's kennel. After saving it from my dogs I gather it slept the night there as it was still in the kennel this morning. Jay's barking inside annoyed me so much I picked up the cat and took it out onto the drive. I discovered it had a bell on it so assume it had just got lost trying to get home. I hope it stays away tonight.

No comments: