Friday 24 July 2015

Tuesday

Last night I finished reading the book about Tuesday, the service dog trained to do many things for an American soldier with PTSD. I am amazed at how they used the dog's innate personality to mould him to the needs of Luis, something I am unsure if my guide dog could do. While Jay adores me and I him I doubt that he is totally attuned to what I am feeling.

Jay is my best friend, along with Chocolat, but they need to have time to relax and be themselves. I doubt either would survive emotionally if I needed them to absorb and help with my moods and feelings.

It did not take me long to choose another book to read.
 Our House is Definitely Not...
This is Susan Cutsforth's latest book, following on from her earlier memoirs which are:
 Our House Is Not in Paris

Our House is Certainly Not ...
I read her other two books rapidly, they are real page turners as they describe their purchase of a run down property in the Dordogne region of France and the renovations undertaken over a period of 3-4 years during their holidays from their adopted home of Australia. Susan is a librarian at a secondary school on the east coast of Australia and she and her husband travelled widely when younger. The 'local' flavour gives these books a 'when is the next one coming out' flavour that I really appreciate.

Having finished 'Year of Wonders' several nights ago I read magazines on my VRS then decided to read a book I put on it ages ago:
 Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health 
This is very relevant to the gluten free diet and now elimination diet I am required to follow. It has lots of information and explanations of the damage that wheat is doing to our health. I think it is a book I may have to purchase for my kindle so I can use it as a reference book.

 Wheat Belly Cookbook: 150 Recipes to Help You Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health

The companion cookbook has also been widely read and used by those deciding to follow this dietary course. I find American cookbooks difficult to use as they have ingredients those of us in the southern climes have never heard of or include recipes with differently named ingredients. It appears to have a good rating on Goodreads so it may be worth investing in.

The author, Dr William Davis, also has a blog which I must read as background to the book.

I have decided I need to be reading one fiction and one non-fiction book on my kindle at the same time. Not only will this help me get through the backlog of books but will ensure that I read more books before I purchase any more.

No comments: