Saturday 11 April 2015

Reading!

I have finally finished The Underground Girls of Kabul.
The Underground Girls of Kabul: In Search of a Hidden Resistance in Afghanistan
Eye and migraine issues have prevented me from reading my kindle except for short periods of time. It is a very open and informative book given the risks the women took when speaking to the author. I am amazed that the help given by outside agencies has done little to improve the opportunities and education for Afghan women. We do not realise how lucky we are here in the Western world, the freedoms to speak as we like, wear what we like, travel where we like without a multitude of outdated religious and social rules to temper our very being.

I have now started a memoir written by a member of the WLM group.

I only read the very beginning of it last night but it looks to be an exciting book and one I hope I can read a portion of each day. Tamar is a friend on Facebook and posts lovely messages and photographs so it is exciting for me to read a book for which I can have a conversation with the author.

 I am still reading the memoir of Alice Munro's daughter on my VRS. It is a book I am also enjoying, particularly as it links Alice's short stories with the real happenings in her life. Her daughter lays the family trials and tribulations bare and explores how writing has impacted at several generational levels.

Jay seems to be a lot better, particularly since I gave him an enema on Friday to get his bowels moving again. He has gone twice since so hopefully is now well and truly on the mend.    

No comments: