Sunday 5 April 2015

Back Again

My life has been very hectic of late and I have not felt inclined to stop and write in my blog. I have a sick guide dog who appears to have eaten something nasty and required an expensive visit to the vet late yesterday. He seems to be on the mend with the help of an injection and some tablets. Cherie takes up monumental amounts of time when staying and I had fun yesterday out for lunch and plant shopping at the garden centre. Today I have to take Cherie to buy winter weight underwear and a few other things to start her off if winter comes early.

I am still reading The Mottled Lizard on my VRS. I looked up on the RNZFB website to see how long it is, 15 and a half hours. I am sure I must be down to the last 2 or 3 hours but who knows. The family have sold their coffee farm at Thika and have moved further inland and are developing a new farm.

Image result for Thika in Kenya

Image result for Elspeth Huxley

Image result for Elspeth Huxley

Elspeth Huxley seems to have lived a charmed colonial life as an only child in a loving home with servants, unusual pets, shooting expeditions and other adventures.

Image result for rift valley africa

When they sold their farm at Thika and moved it was to the Rift Valley which was fertile and relatively unpopulated. Elspeth has gone on to write many books, both non-fiction and fiction and after her marriage and move back to England only visited Africa occasionally. She had a wonderful career in many fields and had one child, a son.

No comments: