Sunday 28 December 2014

New Year

Christmas has been and gone, the New Year is only 3 days away, we all need to make some plans for a happy and healthy new year. I am dreaming of a year where visits to the Doctor are few and far between, work is interesting and useful and I can once again have dreams which can be fulfilled.

I finished reading Whitethorn Woods a few days ago, the book ended very suddenly with a suggestion to road would go around the woods and grotto, it was almost a book of description, people's lives and mistakes, I never really found any meaning to it.

I have now begun reading Calebs Crossing on my VRS, a little difficult to follow when listening just once a day but nevertheless looks to be as good as People of the Book.
Caleb's Crossing
I have only listened to a couple of hours so far so have not even managed to link the themes and story although I gather it is based in 1662 around a young pioneer girl who befriends a native American and follows him to Cambridge as he studies at Harvard. A crossing of cultures and the desire of women for an education are two themes which have already presented themselves. I wait in anticipation for the story to deepen and become full and rich.

I am still reading Touching the World on my kindle. Last night I looked up the author on google only to be disappointed and upset to discover that six weeks after the trip she was diagnosed with breast cancer and died within two years of this wonderful trip. Very sad.

No comments: