Saturday 14 February 2015

Excited

Seldom does a book excite me so much that I listen to it for ages every night.
Alone on the Ice: The Greatest Survival Story in the History of Exploration

Enthralled by this book I find myself in the wee small hours turning my VRS on to listen to 'just 15 minutes more'. Having had this book on my player for a couple of years I was about to delete it when I decided to listen for an hour to see if it was interesting. Personally I cannot understand the pull of polar regions but the story of Mawson's solo trek across Antarctica with death, crevasse falls, starvation and then losing the soles of his feet is a wonderful example of how much a human can endure. About to be snowed in for another winter because the ship could not get close enough to allow them to board I am eagerly awaiting the next chapter.

 The Underground Girls of Kabul: In Search of a Hidden Resistance in Afghanistan
I have just started reading this on my kindle. It is about the girls who disguise themselves as boys in Afghanistan so they may attend school. The book opens with a confused discussion as the children are introduced as 'sisters' when by all appearances they seem to be boys. I am sure this will be a very thought provoking book.

Another cluster of migraines has ensured that reading time is again reduced. I am pushing myself to exercise each day in the hope that the extra oxygen required will help with my headaches and ensure I get my blood sugars down to normal levels. Jay, who has put on a couple of kilos, is enjoying the walks free of his harness as I swing my white cane around. In need to change my exercise routines and my diet, not an easy ask after a year of apathy. 

No comments: