Friday 6 February 2015

Sugar

Several of my friends have given up eating sugar and have lost a lot of weight without exercising. I received a phone call on Thursday telling me that my blood sugars are up and I need to change my diet - again! I have a penchant for chocolate and while feeling apathetic all winter I ate bars of chocolate as if they were the last thing I would ever eat. As I have coped well with the gluten free diet I imagine a low sugar diet will not be too different.

Last night I watched Dr Zhivago. I had completely forgotten the plot, all I could remember was Omar Sharif and lots of snow. It is a fabulous movie which has stood the test of time and certainly stands out among the more modern movies which often contain too much violence.


Yesterday I began a new book on my VRS.
Alone on the Ice: The Greatest Survival Story in the History of Exploration
The story of an ill fated Antarctic expedition led by Douglas Mawson this thrilling account is full of adventure, tragedy and evidence that those who traversed this wilderness at the beginning of the last century were either mad or heroes.

My WLM Facebook group keeps recommending memoirs that look too good to miss. Today I have purchased two more which I will want to read as soon as I have finished Paullina Simon's book about her visit to Leningrad.




I dream that one day I may still visit Russia.

No comments: