Thursday 24 April 2014

ANZAC Day

Today is ANZAC day; we commemorate all those who have lost their lives fighting in wars. While the focus appears to be on WW1 with its upcoming 100th anniversary even I am impressed that Prince William and Catherine unexpectedly attended the dawn service in Canberra. I hope it was a very moving experience for them.

Early this morning I finished Bill Bryson's Down Under  which was incredibly humorous, focused on the many places that the average tourist would bypass and his quirky writing enhances the overall view of what is truly a large and desert filled country. Even he, after all his travels, seemed stunned to discover that it was 1600 miles in Western Australia to the next real tourist attraction, probably 3 days drive. A highly recommended read for those who don't take themselves too seriously.

 Tracks: A Woman's Solo Trek Across 1700 Miles of Australian Outback
Yesterday, having turned up for a meeting 2 weeks early and having to wait 2 hours for the next scheduled meeting I began reading Tracks on my kindle. It was a little hard to concentrate with people coming and going wondering what I was doing there, but I think this is going to be a stunning memoir. Robyn has admitted she knows little or nothing about camels but is learning everything she can from a rather 'grumpy old man'. I seem to be reading a lot of Australian fiction and non-fiction at present, probably due to my recent Brisbane visit; this memoir might be what I need to project me into another travel adventure of my own. 

Work is improving, I now have another full day and other possible work in the pipeline. This will help with my daily living expenses and I may even be able to have a few more treats, not of the food kind! I might even save for a New Zealand holiday where I can take Jay rather than tripping off on an overseas jet.


Today we remember those who fought and died to give us these freedoms and choices.      

No comments: