Monday 14 April 2014

Brisbane

I have just spent a week in Brisbane attending a family wedding and other attendant events. It was so very hot and humid, I could not live there. I also met up with friends I have not seen for a while and explored the markets. The heat meant I often retreated to my accommodation and read.
The Light Between Oceans
I took my ipad with me and devoured the above book on my Kindle. It is a truly fascinating story of life on a lighthouse, loss, family and ends with an unexpected outcome. Tom is such a solid person, one whose integrity I could relate to and whose story I felt was more akin to my own life of solitude and making the most of opportunities offered. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in Australian novels and intent on discovering themselves in silence.
 The Prodigal Daughter (Kane...
I also took my VRS and read The Prodigal Daughter  by Jeffrey Archer on the plane and during the evening. The nights are long in Brisbane, it is dark early and light early so having a talking book was wonderful. Again Archer spins a tale around US politics and makes us wonder what the next part of the plot will bring to the life of Florentina Kane. Although some of the story was predictable many sections were not and this is what kept my interest up. A very interesting tale well worth a second read and an invitation to read more of his books.
 Paris Letters 
I am now reading Paris Letters  on my Kindle. A light hearted memoir yet serious attempt to discover what shutting the door on a mundane life and opening a window onto chance and opportunity can bring. I am enjoying this book, though suspect the ending may be a little predictable. 

Jay and Chocolat were very pleased to see me arrive home. Using a white cane is not easy, nor is attempting to use public transport in a strange city when one has a severe vision impairment. Travelling 'blind' is not easy, particularly when taxi drivers take advantage of a visitor. Guide dogs are wonderful, a Rolls Royce of mobility!      

No comments: