Saturday 19 April 2014

RNZFB Library

I have been trying all weekend to access the RNZFB online library to no avail. It will not open. As holiday times are when many of us read our talking books and also decide to read the next in a series or something else by the same author I think it is quite sad that access is difficult. I have a lot of work to do over the school holidays and would prefer to choose and order new books while in 'holiday' mode.

Bill Bryson continues to fascinate with his humorous and insightful look at Australian life. Somehow they are different from New Zealanders; less shy, less reserved in many situations, yet often more outspoken and very insular. Their response to the successes of many other countries is quite shameful, as is their response to anyone with a different background or skin colour. Although we have levels of racism here in New Zealand, it is minor compared to that easily exposed in casual conversation in Australia. Bill Bryson has only made minor mention of this, reactions to his comments seem to have made him respond with silence.

I am still struggling through A Book of Silence,  it is not an easy read later in the evening and the print is quite small. A sojourn on a Scottish island sounds heavenly to me, but I am not sure Sara's silence is far removed from mine when enjoying a peaceful Sunday afternoon with a book and soft music. There is little nature here to offer its version of silence. I am just grateful I don't live in a big city with its motorways, overwhelming bus systems and noisy people and traffic. 

Jay is still unsettled; a day's work at the Base should have brought him back to reality but somehow all the gains I made over the last few months have been negated in a week. I think it is really his fondness for both me and his puppy walker makes it difficult for him to know where his true allegiance lies.     

No comments: