Monday 28 April 2014

Bankers

I have spent all morning getting documentation to prove who I am so I can withdraw a relatively small amount of my own money from an investment. I find the procedures invasive and too detailed given I have made several phone calls and they sent me the papers without question. I understand it is to avoid illegalities, but this has gone a step too far.

Just One Look
I have had this book on my VRS for a couple of years and decided it was time to read it. New genres are fascinating me, recommendations for this book abound so it will be interesting to see if I find the book as gripping as the reviews propose. I have only just begun, if it keeps me awake I will know it is due the accolades.

I have read several issues of North and South magazine as well as the New Zealand version of Readers Digest this week on my VRS. I am unsure who in the RNZFB chooses which stories to tape but sometimes one is led to wonder if personal preferences substitute for more interesting stories. I have no 'ordinary' book underway at present, but am devouring New Zealand Home and Garden, The Healthy Food Guide and Coeliac Link. Diversions and 'put down' reading such as this are good when one is tired.

Yesterday I went with a friend to see the movie The Invisible Woman. The story of Charles Dicken's mistress, a young woman of 18 who somehow was inveigled into developing a relationship with him the story was very sad. She bore him a stillborn child, but in later years married a younger man and had two children by him. An unknown relationship, not taught when studying Dickens, one wonders if anyone is normal today as far as relationships go. I am now disappointed by the man, more so by the woman's family, but it has introduced me to movies I had no idea existed. The Lido may well become my favourite haunt for art movies. As an aside, Jay slept right through, cannot have been to his taste!

No comments: