Thursday 17 April 2014

Molemap

Yesterday I had my first molemap. Living in New Zealand means we are all very prone to skin cancer and I have the highest possible risk, particularly since I have recently had a melanoma removed. It was an interesting experience and some of the poses required for the photographs to be taken made me feel like a Greek athlete ready to hurl the discus.
 Home to Roost: A New Life in Cornwall
I have just finished reading this book on my VRS. The third in her series, I think Tessa Hainsworth became a little lost for incidents and memories to write about in this book. There is a lot of repetition from her previous two books and it became even lighter and lacking in any substance. As a light read it is suitable and could be read in isolation from the two previous books but it offers little new. One wonders how many life changing incidents can be extracted from living in Cornwall and doing the mail run. I hope she waits a while before attempting a new book.
  Front Cover
I began reading Bill Bryson again last night. His humour and tongue in cheek comments make one stand and notice our own impressions of Australia and life downunder. He makes fun of many of the things we view as normal, insightful commentary on a lifestyle we all know really well. I have only read the first two chapters so will hopefully enjoy this book as much as I have other Bryson books.

Paris Letters is proving to be a very light memoir, aimed at the mid-life crisis audience who are fearful of attempting their own change of the highway of life. Several of these books I have read seem to descend into relationships rather than real memoir and travel, finding a male to share one's adventure with appears to be the goal of European travel rather than learning about the culture, history, art and architecture of the country being explored. My eclectic reading is taking me on a journey I had not truly planned this year, novels and much light reading interspersed with the serious and philosophical. It makes life interesting and is opening up new genres of reading never before explored.

No comments: