Sunday 2 November 2014

More Headaches

Reading has had to take a back seat again due to my cluster of headaches. I am off for a massage today, to the neurologist tomorrow and the osteopath. I need some answers as this is becoming a real concern for me. Just proofreading for half an hour yesterday set me off again, I hate it.

Now that I have read reviews of One Night in Winter
I have more understanding of what is behind this novel. I had no idea it was based on a true case and children were really locked up in Lubyanka Prison. The story is appalling and certainly shows the length and breadth of the reach of Stalin into the lives of his citizens, particularly those who served him in an official capacity. The children took known risks, perhaps their youth made them think they were invincible, but this control of every aspect of people's personal lives is something that now seems to be the forte of the islamists.

Again good books have been recommended by WLM  members which are unavailable to us here in NZ. For the second time in as many days I have had to put up a post saying that this gorgeous book they are suggesting we buy for a few dollars is not available here in the kindle edition. 

No comments: