Tuesday 5 May 2015

Book Technology

I have moved with the times and have joined 'Booklink', a new service offered by the Blind Foundation. I can go online, choose books, download and unzip them then transfer them to my VRS. Once I have done it a few times I am sure it will seem really easy but I certainly struggled on how to unzip it the first time. I am still unsure if I press 'return' if the book still stays on my TB machine. Time will tell.

Last night I finished When the Dust Settles   and started my first downloaded book, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café.

Image result for fried green tomatoes at the whistle stop cafe

Having only listened to the beginning I cannot comment on the book yet but I understand it is about two women telling the lives of another two women, one of whom ran the Whistle Stop Café. I am sure I will enjoy this book which was on the New York Times bestsellers list for weeks.

The story of Rob Cook was one of determination and achievement. I so felt for him the times he fell out of his wheelchair but was filled with admiration for his tenacity. As the book stops at the end of his long ride to Alice Springs in his wheelchair the reader is left unsure about his eventual return to the family cattle station. I am sure he will live there permanently and take the risk that a medical emergency could overtake them.

Last Sunday I attended the Winter Concert at the Gallagher Centre at Waikato University. A chamber orchestra of absolute perfection, their music was divine and held me spellbound for two hours. The Haydn Cello Concerto and the Jupiter moved me very deeply. Having enjoyed this so much I am returning today to hear Quattro, 4 cellos who won a recent competition. I am sure Jay will be frustrated to return to the same venue.  

No comments: