Friday 1 May 2015

Australians

I have to admit that I love watching Home and Away. Not really something an academic should be following, despite the fact my neighbour with a PhD watches both Home and Away and Shortland St. My reason for mentioning this is last night's episode which concluded with the dawn service in Summer Bay. As teenagers sang and remembered, the young of the bay honoured both Alf and other veterans in the Bay, the filming was superb. Outlines of horses, sand covered in hundreds of poppies and solemn actors who for once were not acting but truly remembering, it was extremely moving. I cried and cried.

I have finished Holy Fools and have started a new talking book:

It is the story of cattleman in Australia who led a very active life until he was paralysed in a helicopter crash. His dream of continuing to work the family cattle station came true. I am only up to the helicopter crash, it is a gripping story easily read, particularly as cattle stations come within our parameters of understanding.

I have also started a new Kate Mosse book on my kindle:
The Taxidermist's Daughter
Set in Sussex in 1912, it is a mystery set around a young woman, a death, seeing the ghosts of those who will die, and a decaying taxidermy museum. Quite different from her other books I have read it appears to be another of gripping novel.

No comments: