Wednesday 2 July 2014

Abuse

How many other people are shocked and stunned by the conviction of entertainer, Rolf Harris. We grew up and brought our children up watching this man who obviously thought he was above the law when he abused and interfered with young women. Shock waves have spun around the world and now one is left to wonder why we trust anyone at all, does risk manifest in every corner, every situation?

I am engrossed in The Primal Wound,  only putting it down when the eye strain becomes too severe. I have been a little shocked when two people have told me they have read the book, why did they not recommend it to me, both knew I experience identity issues around my adoption. It is lifting years of pain and rejection from my heart, there is much work to do now.

 When in Rome

I started reading this book by Nicky Pellegrino last night after a false start with another book on my VRS. Talking books are so fickle, what sounds interesting often turns out dull, this book offers me a light relief from my other serious reading. The story of Serefina, it explores life in Rome, the food, architecture, life as young women knew it in the 1950's. I am unsure if it has a meaty plot but will enjoy something light and uncomplicated.

Rome was not a place I enjoyed, probably put off by the many people who warned me of its dangers. I used the Hop on Hop Off buses and toured the city through a bus window, only getting off when I felt safe. Perhaps I missed the essence of the city through a veil of other people's fears but it is not a place I dream of returning to.

No comments: