Tuesday 15 July 2014

My Year of Reading

Last week I was fitted for contact lenses in the hope they may gain me some better use of the vision I have. I am going to the Optometrist soon to pick them up and see if the prediction is correct. I am not sure if I am scared or excited - I need to make sure I project the positive emotion rather than the negative.

I am enjoying The End of Your Life Bookclub but am, like other reviewers, a bit disappointed in how few books are discussed. It is becoming more and more a story of cancer, chemotherapy and family dynamics rather than a book discussion. As this is my 'Year of Reading' I am always keen to follow suggestions and try out books I have never heard of.

Last night I started a new book on my VRS.
 
I am unsure if I will finish it but being on a topic I have always had an interest in this book may provide me with some answers. I remember asking my mother why no one knew about the concentration camps in Germany and Poland and the slaughter of the Jews. She said nothing was known, there were no reports in the newspapers and similar - perhaps out of sight out of mind. Eastern Europe was foreign territory in the 1940's, a land of the unknown to much of the world. This expose on the cover-up by the press should be a very interesting read.

I have been told I need to slow down, almost to a halt yet take time to enjoy myself in ways I have never done before. I find life very serious, it is time I explored ways of taking time out. Having a short holiday appeals, all I need is a good dog sitter. I wonder where I could go, some suggestions below.

  
Perhaps Waiheke Island or Akaroa! 



No comments: