Saturday 26 July 2014

Happiness

Gretchen Rubin, author of the Happiness Project started her year by removing all the visible clutter from her life. Delighted that a friend had an empty shelf in her home Gretchen rushed off to ensure she had one too. While I doubt I have room for anything to be empty it is tempting to have a real clean out, but what will always stay is books, books and more books. I really do need to tidy up the piles around the house though and make it attractive for people visiting to dip into some of my favourites.

Last night I finished the Rushing Women's Syndrome, yes I know it is weeks since I started it but much of the content is medical and needs careful following. My first move is to lend the book to a neighbour who insists I am always rushing and to try and follow the mantra that I must pace myself as I am not doing my health any favours.

Shonagh Koea is an author I have never read and I am unsure what genre her books are, apart from mostly being fiction. Waking early I listened to more than an hour of her memoir, it is a reminder of my own experiences and such a reflection on growing up in New Zealand.

I am beginning to wish that I was not such a keen kindle reader. I have discovered that many of the books on offer seem to change at the weekend and lazy breakfasts are spent searching for new and interesting books to read. Perhaps I need to delete a few I have never read, have little interest in or have finished and will never be tempted to read again.

I am writing press releases for a variety of press outlets regarding a new transport report which has just been released. Having come on board as the social media expert to ensure the information gathered reaches the right people I am still working on trying to bring all the information to a place that is appropriate for the ordinary reader as well as transport experts.

Everyone asks when I plan on travelling again, I have begun to dream of places and destinations but given the air tragedies this week I am more than nervous about long haul flights again. I would love to return to Poland, France, Germany, the Czech Republic and Scandanavia, hopefully one day.

 

I would love to return to Helsinki one day and perhaps travel further around the country.
Another destination? One of my favourite cities, even though I got mugged here. I loved Denmark, I wish more of it's writers work was translated into English so we could all enjoy it.

No comments: