Saturday 5 July 2014

French Markets and Ageing

Boredom becomes an ever present factor in life as we age. Although we may be in the company of positive others our physical deterioration makes it increasingly difficult to undertake those daily activities which make life so interesting. Visiting both my 100 year old mother and another elderly person this morning I realised that even in company with continual visitors and entertainment on offer boredom is a regular feature of homes for the elderly.

Delete buttons are delicious, particularly the one on my VRS. Although I have enjoyed other light books by Nicky Pellegrino the affected narrator of When in Rome  drove me mad and last night I hastily deleted the book and searched among all the new books I had downloaded yesterday from a plethora of RNZFB orders which arrived in my mailbox. My final choice was:

 

I really love Joanne Harris's books, their mysterious qualities, exit into unknown worlds, ethereal expectations and the need to follow the plot with devotion. I only listened for about an hour last night and am still trying to unravel the direction this novel will take. I loved Chocolat, the book, the movie, everything about it. I loved it so much I named my dog Chocolat, though today's generation have seldom seen the movie and do not understand the reasons why. I was unaware that Joanne Harris had also written two cookbooks, the one which appeals to me in the first instant is:

  http://www.harpercollins.com/9780060893132/the-french-market#


I think I will see if I can borrow this from the library, I doubt I need another cookbook on my shelf at present.




No comments: