Tuesday 6 January 2015

Busy at Last

Along with my decision not to let my envy of those having a real holiday away from home ruin my holiday I have also decided not to let the medication I am taking to try and stop ongoing migraines rule my lovely holiday at home. It makes me very sleepy and I have to use all my energy to keep going in the morning yet I seem to have boundless spare energy in the late afternoon. A true reversal of my normal daily rituals.

Caleb's Crossing is still filling my mind as I listen to this amazing book by Geraldine Brooks. While aware I must be coming to its final chapters the underlying themes are still relevant today. The rejection of the young Indian men by their peers, violent death and illness due to poor diet and too many hours studying haunts the students of today. Many fail to eat properly and drink too much. One is left to wonder if taking people out of their own environment and expecting them to fit into a totally different culture should still be undertaken with such zest today.

I am thoroughly enjoying A Lady in France and have read almost half of it already. While I often buy these wonderful memoirs when they are free or very cheap I had come to believe they were not quality writing. This book has gripped me as I follow the story of Jennie, particularly now she has married her French suitor, so exciting.

I tidied all my bookshelves at the weekend. People often wonder why I keep real books now that I can no longer read most of them. While I have my CCTV to enlarge their print if I need it, I find books are what makes a home. I always used to check out people's bookshelves when I visited their homes, it gave me a quick measure of who they were, what their interests were and if there were books any chance I may have had of befriending them. 

No comments: