Saturday 17 January 2015

Cooking

Not the sort of cooking done in the oven or on the stovetop, the weather is turning us all into shrivelled images of our former self. Most of us are feeling burnt around the edges, too well done and wishing that someone would turn the stove down. Our winter lasted too long and spring never arrived but now we have the type of summer which the Waikato used to experience 50 or 60 years ago. Grateful that heat means no sore joints, we could have that advantage without the overwhelming humidity. 

I have been reading voraciously, mostly in an attempt to catch up on months of not being able to read due to ongoing migraines. I had felt that The Illegal Gardener   might be another of those boring memoirs but it is turning out to be very interesting. We seldom have illegal emigres here due to the island nature of our country and distance from anywhere. I had never realised there were whole communities of people living silently in countries in Europe trying to make enough money to send back to their poverty stricken relatives at home. We are very lucky here in New Zealand in so many ways that I cringe when I hear them talking of poverty here.

I have been watching the Amazon.com website most days in case books I want to buy are available either free or on special. Many years ago I purchased a book online as a result of a promise by the publishers they would send me an e-copy. All this happened, but the print in the book was tiny and the e-copy did not work on my talking book machine. I have checked Amazon several times over the ensuing years but the book was never available for kindle. A couple of days ago I discovered, while searching for some other books about World War 2, that the book I so want to read was finally available.


The history of a secret archive dedicated to documenting life in Warsaw under Nazi occupation, this collection remained hidden until one of the few survivors of the group returned to the hiding place and this huge archival collection was documented for the world.

Life is beginning to seem normal now, I am doing those things I love and truly enjoy; writing, journaling, art journaling, reading, listening to beautiful music and spending time with friends and enjoying good food. I have slowed down enough to find their is enjoyment in the small moments, pleasure in watching time pass, listening to the silence.

No comments: