Wednesday 7 January 2015

Movie

The Imitation Game (2014) Poster
Yesterday I went to see this wonderful movie. Extremely thought provoking, the back story touched me in a place of memories long lost in time. Although this is the story of cracking the enigma code in WW2, it is also filled with the personal story of Alan Turing. If this was today he would be hailed as a hero, yet he was veiled under secrecy laws, unable to express his homosexuality, lonely and lost in a life where he was unable to fit in. I know the world of difference intimately and saw much of my own childhood in his. I also find it rather difficult to understand why it took until 2013 for Britain to truly acknowledge his role in bringing WW2 to an end. Disgraceful.

I finished Caleb's Crossing last night. I cannot understand why Geraldine Brook's novels have not been made into movies. They are such intricate works of art - stories woven around fragments of historical information, scraps made whole. History is well represented by her deft hand and mind.

After I finished this book I began a new one. Such is the joy of having a talking book machine.
 Living with a Wild God: A Nonbeliever's Search for the Truth about Everything
After finding an old diary Barbara attempts to recreate her thoughts and feelings of adolescence. This leads her on a moral, philosophical and spiritual journey which shatters her previous thoughts and feelings.

I need to get back to my reading of celtic philosophy, thoughts and spiritual examination. I feel that again I am feeling the tug to fill my spiritual being in a way that suits just me. My life is already looking up, growing and expanding rapidly this year and it is only the 8th of January, a day 35 years ago when I was in labour. 

No comments: