Thursday 15 January 2015

Too Hot

It is far too hot to work on a computer, scanner, my art or even the garden. Temperatures inside the house were over 30C yesterday. All I could do was sleep, eat, sleep and read. The dogs and I are melting and are so lethargic that moving to attempt anything is far too much trouble.

One consequence has been that I have done a lot of reading on my kindle.
 
This book received the only critical review I have ever written for an Amazon e-book. The proofreading was almost non-existent and I soon tired of the I went, I saw, I ate pedestrian theme. This is one of the downsides of self publishing - authors must have their books read by someone else before uploading it.

Lost in Transplantation: Memoir of an Unconventional Organ Donor
This book was a much better read, something I managed to do in just over 24 hours. The story of a woman who met a fellow student with kidney disease and on learning more about her offered her a kidney if it matched. A polite refusal for altruistic reasons saw Eldonna embark on a four year quest offering a kidney. Blood tests meant several people she contacted were not good matches but eventually a 'pay it forward' donation was accepted. She donated her kidney to a man whose wife then donated a kidney and on it went. A very interesting book, an easy read, great holiday reading.
 The Illegal Gardener (The Greek Village Series, #1)
This book was my next kindle choice, even though I was beginning to feel I should stop indulging myself and read something a little more serious. Juliet leaves an unhappy marriage and on a whim purchases a run down house in Greece. The garden and surrounds are in a mess, a veritable tip, and she employs two Pakistani illegals who want work to help her clear it. I am hoping this will also be a quick read so I can proceed to the many more books I have on my kindle.

No comments: