Sunday 17 August 2014

Shame


I started reading this at the weekend, not sure how I feel as many people say I have low self esteem but this author re-defines it as shame. Many of the things she is saying ring true for me, someone who was made to feel less by both a mother and husband who felt they could control my thoughts and actions. I found her other book, The Gift of Imperfection too difficult to read in the print version so I have purchased it for my kindle too. While many people are critical of self-help books I think this genre has improved and become far more realistic in the help they offer, leaving it to the reader to make their own decisions about taking advice or opening up to areas of their life which have traditionally been very private.

I have just finished reading the first issue of NZ House and Garden I received from my Brownie points earned from my power company. I love looking at other people's homes and gardens, how they fit their lives around caring for beautiful homes, writing, working, photography - all occupations I would love to feel positive about at the moment.

Yesterday I went to the movies, rather a silly thing to do when we are having beautiful sunny days but it was a very positive way to spend a couple of hours.
 The Hundred-Foot Journey (2014) Poster 
Dame Helen Mirren always delights in unexpected ways. This story of despair, food, jealousy and eventual success and triumph is really worth watching. I love the storyline, the characters, the food and the everyday life in a French village we all envy so much. 

No comments: