Wednesday 6 August 2014

Spain

Two Old Fools in Spain Again was a fun book I could not put down. An easy read with lots of personal anecdotes and the realities of life interspersed, I am sure I will now read her other books. I emailed Victoria and got a lovely reply from her.

I then opened this book:
 The Diary of a Single Parent Abroad 
I have not started reading it yet but I understand it is about a family who move to Italy, the husband leaves having had no intention of staying due to an affair and the life the family discover they can lead in a foreign country. It sounds very interesting.

One feature that Kindle need to provide is a separate area where books that have been read can be stored if one proposes to read them again rather than going back into Amazon.com to delete the book from a long list of purchases. I cannot be the only person who is frustrated at having to scroll down huge lists of books to try and find the one I want to read next.

I have almost finished reading Last Summer in Arcadia  on my VRS. It has kept me company when unable to sleep, has been a great sleeping draught on nights when I am very tired and has been a light read interspersed with marriage breakups, affairs, abused children and a mysterious American. I would have liked to hear more about the setting, Dublin, but it is quite a long book and I imagine perhaps these pieces were cut by a zealous editor.

 The Rise: Creativity, the Gift of Failure, and the Search for Mastery
I purchased this book for my kindle recently; its function in my life is uncertain but as a creative person who fears failure and often forgets to 'start' because of this fear I am hoping it will provide me with both a way forward and a method of accepting who I am. It does look interesting.


This book is waiting for me at the library, I heard the author interviewed on the radio and it sounded so interesting. I understand it is an explanation of our culture, the way we think and our national perceptions which confuse those who meet us. I will keep you posted on its relevance to my thinking when travelling that New Zealand lacks an identity, cultural or otherwise.

No comments: