Saturday 15 February 2014

Creative New Zealand Women

The Wharf At Waterfall Bay
I have been waiting months for this book after reserving it at the local library. I was only about 5th on the list but everyone else seems to have kept the book for the full month. Given that in an hour or so of reading I have read over 100 pages of a 260 page book I think people hold onto books for the devil of it.
I am fascinated by Lisa's life in the Marlborough Sounds, moving there due to her ill health as a young child and returning after her OE to settle on the family farm and make cheese. She is one of those people I truly admire and wish I could know. While I have only reached the section where she is at university in Wellington - and the mad dash from her home back for an exam, her life is one that many New Zealanders aspire to but are too afraid to attempt.

Scanning is my latest pursuit - in frustration after putting a person I am writing about into the wrong decade I opened my scanning programme and started copying all my mother's old, and some not so old photographs. I was distressed to discover that she had torn Hamish out of a photograph by sticking something over his image and tearing it off. Strange behaviour, he did exist.

Jay and I went for a walk last night, the noise of the cicadas in the bush walk in the park was deafening, I doubt he knew what they were. I love going for a walk with him and due to my arm surgery have had to take him on a lead with my cane doing the seeing. Chocolat goes for a more sedate, senior citizen, walk around my neighbourhood. Her eyes, white with retinal dystrophy, still fix on me with a loving stare. She sits behind me as I write, protects me when I go outside and I care for my now almost blind guide dog with the love and affection due to her after a lifetime of work.  

No comments: