Wednesday 5 February 2014

Waitangi Day

Waitangi Day is when New Zealander's celebrate the signing of our founding document between the Maori and British representatives. The source of much division now and huge unrealistic payments to Maori tribes who feel aggrieved, the Treaty of Waitangi is the subject of much dispute, academic positioning and a growing angst between the Maori and European, all of us are settlers.

 Midnight in St Petersburg
I opened this book on my Kindle a couple of days ago but have read no further than the acknowledgements. I understand it begins in 1911 and follows the Russian Revolution with a background in violin making and political intrigue. I have always loved stories of Russia and was very disappointed not to visit there in 2008, perhaps one day. I used to have a beautiful book about the Romanov family which I was given for my first graduation. Unfortunately it was taken in the marriage division and I no longer have it. 

Image 1  
This book has been on my writing desk for about 18 months, virtually untouched. Writers block caused by a well meaning friend has prevented me writing in the way and genre I wish for months. I am trying a new exercise each day in the hope of breaking down the barrier which this person unwittingly built assuming I would want to write in the way she does. It has caused me some great hilarity, particularly when I had to write using abstract nouns for names. Fun!     

No comments: