Friday 28 February 2014

Suicide

The suicide of Charlotte Dawson a week ago seems to have rocked the media world despite several previous attempts and her obvious unhappiness for many years. Media and publishing are linked in ways the lay person does not really understand but the apparent ignorance of those now mourning her about suicide, social media and the impact of television exposure on a depressed person amazes me. Publicity about depression is readily available here due to the courage of John Kirwan and now others such as Keisha Castle-Hughes are 'coming out' about mental health issues. People need to stop hiding behind glass walls and acknowledge that the Charlotte Dawson's of this world exist and should be loved and cared for, not just left to cope.

Reading has taken a back seat over the last fortnight as I have struggled to cope with having two sick dogs, little sleep and the realisation I no longer have the energy to cope with such trauma. I finished Midnight in St Petersburg and continue to wonder where the author got lost. I found many of the long descriptions of hardship made the middle of the book quite boring. There was no anticipation nor any need to hurry reading the book until they made the decision to travel to the Crimea.

 Blackberry Wine
I have started reading this novel by Joanna Harris after enjoying Five Quarters of the Orange. Perhaps I am distracted due to tiredness but as of yet am unable to access the book. It seems odd, bottles of old wine talking to each other.

I am reading the latest Readers Digest on my VRS. I enjoyed the description of what it is like to be blasted into space and the destruction that can be brought to missions when one crew member becomes ill while in space. I hope there are many other interesting stories in this issue.   

No comments: