Saturday 1 March 2014

Procrastination

Writing is such a solitary occupation - I spend a large amount of time being my own best friend and perhaps from this point of view I have chosen the wrong creative pursuits. I always manage to find something else to do yet when I actually start writing I love it. I have many ideas but tend to start and then decide I cannot follow this through. I need to write for the sake of writing, because I love writing, because I cannot not write. Writing is a slow and laborious process but the research and love of words make it my first love. I need to spend so much more time on my first love!
Seagulls in the Attic:  Travel book reviews
I started reading the above book on my VRS this morning while puffing away on my exercycle. This is the second of Tessa Hainsworth's books. I loved Cornwall, particularly Penzance, unfortunately there were no pirates there when I visited in 2007. Tessa's descriptions of her life as a postie and the challenges of frugal living are both humorous and challenging. It would have been so easy for the family to return to London, where that wonderful friend of hers lives. I am sure I will enjoy this book and its sequel, Up With the Larks

Book collecting has always fascinated me. I would love to be wealthy enough to collect interesting books, rare editions, children's books, travel books and those which hold a special place in my heart. Many books have been written about book collecting, some fascinating, others totally boring. What will happen to this pastime in the days of e-readers, Kindle apps and the decline of the modern bookshop. Perhaps it will be sidelined in favour of how many books one can fit on a Kindle, or the demise of the home library. Who knows, but in my time I am sure the rich and well heeled will continue this important investment.     

No comments: