Friday 7 March 2014

Heart Attack

My brother had a heart attack on Thursday. He had been feeling unwell for a few days but was working in Wellington. Waking in a sweat with pain in his arms and a constricted chest he amazingly took time to ring his wife, shower and dress and then drive himself to the hospital. Arriving at 8.30am he was in theatre by 9am, still in his clothes having angioplasty and a stent inserted. The time he wasted put him at extra risk and he is very lucky to be alive. I hope this is enough of a wake up call to make him look at his lifestyle. It has certainly given me a huge fright.

Seagulls in the Attic is a lighthearted look at the lifestyle of incomers to Cornwall. Tessa left a high powered position with the Bodyshop and became a postie in rural Cornwall. I loved Cornwall and would like to return one day, the tiny seaside villages, country buses and the lack of a pirate in Penzance make it all the more alluring. I am looking forward to reading the last book in her series.

Inside the White House: The Hidden Lives of the Modern Presidents and the Secrets of the World's Most Powerful Institution
I started reading this book on my VRS this morning. By Ronald Kessler, it explores the hidden lives of the last 7 Presidents of the United States. While offering us an inside view of the day to day workings of the mansion, it exposes scandal, sexual dalliances, misconduct, cover-ups and the belief that these President's acted as monarchs rather than public servants.

I am considering upgrading my computer. When I am proofreading assignments my computer keeps crashing, whitening out, or losing all the track changes I have done. While this is expensive I may need to realise that technology has moved on from what I am using, the 2003 version of MS Office.

No comments: