Saturday 29 March 2014

Creative Inspiration

Ideas for writing come at all times and in some unusual places. I write any inspiration down in a book I keep for this purpose but sometimes the spark disappears while at other times I mull over ideas for months. The story about my father's writing desk has been an off/on project for months. It will be consolidated when I attend a wedding next week as the threads of the story will weave into a whole. I will be excited to see if the conclusion is as interesting as the beginning of my quest to find the story of my father's family.

Yesterday I started reading The Book of Silence by Sara Maitland. A mixture of autobiography, philosophy, feminism, spirituality and even a little geography I am fascinated by Sara's writing style and the way she weaves all these elements effortlessly into an expose on silence. One of the decisions I made this year was to enjoy the silences of my life more often, hopefully this book will give me some guidelines as to where I have failed. I don't like a lot of noise, but I do enjoy listening to beautiful music as I read or write.

My VRS batteries went flat last night. Sally is now in the Crimea searching for her dead partner, I had forgotten that women went with their men in those days. How war has changed. Yesterday I met one of the children of Corporal Doug Grant who died fighting the Taliban while a member of the NZ SAS. What tragedy and waste war brings, children fatherless, a wife alone, family angry and bereaved. War is painful for everyone.

 

No comments: