Saturday 8 February 2014

Revolution

Midnight in St Petersburg is a very exciting historical novel. I read 5 chapters yesterday and found the descriptive pieces and character development exciting and very well written. Many of today's modern writers seem to feel they do not need to set the scene and one finishes a book still confused by the characters and the purpose of the novel. This book is very different, almost in the style of the old Russian writers who allowed us to feel the cold, the fear and the plot through clever words and exceptional writing. I have not checked yet to see if Vanora Bennett has written any other books but if she has I will definitely purchase them.
 At the End of Darwin Road: A Memoir  
My writing prompts book suggested I open the door to a writer I admire and explain why I am experiencing writers block. I chose Fiona Kidman as i have a huge admiration for this New Zealand writer who seems able to move seamlessly between several genres. Her memoirs are fascinating as they are set in a similar time to my own life and her experiences reflect many I have had. She is an author I return to when I wish to understand the power of creative writing and its possibilities in the New Zealand setting.

I changed my routine this morning and took the dogs for a long early morning walk. I was very surprised not to meet other dog walkers, thank goodness, but feel so much better for the early morning exercise not in a climate controlled gym. Jay seemed to enjoy every moment and looked at me with adoration when we arrived home, Chocolat saw it as a chance not to walk in the heat!  

No comments: