Monday 10 February 2014

Visitors from China

Last night I had two visitors from China. They are boarding with a friend of mine while they settle into their studies at Wintec. Lovely tall and polite young women, they are the face of the new China. Their English is very good, one of the students told me that her English teacher at Wintec was her teacher at her High School in China last year. In an effort to keep changing the books on my coffee table I had put my Treasures of China by the Readers Digest out yesterday. This coincidence did not go unnoticed and both girls seemed thrilled to find a book about China in a New Zealand home. 

Magazines have always fascinated me. For many years I subscribed to Life Magazine, quite a step up from the Jack and Jill children's magazines which came from Britain and had yellow covers I read as a child. 

   As the years have gone by I have read everything from the New Zealand Journal of Agriculture, Dairy Exporter, North and South and Investigate magazine. Nowadays the only subscription I have is to the Healthy Food Guide
   
The print is very small in most magazines making them inaccessible for people with vision impairments. While they are taped by the RNZFB the choice of article may not suit all readers. The magazine I miss the most is the National Geographic, from this iconic publication I learnt that travel is the book to the world.  

No comments: