Wednesday 19 February 2014

Jayville

My guide dog, Jay, is quite sick. He has had vomiting and diarrhoea for several days and after two vet visits we may be getting somewhere with a diagnosis. I have towels everywhere at night to prevent him from making another mess on the carpet. Today's episode after the vets visit where he dropped little bits in the mall was very embarrassing.

As a result of checking him in the night I am not sleeping very well. I am reading talking books quite fast and started another new one last night. 
 A Fortunate Life 
This book is very interesting and seems to be one I can listen to in short bursts or follow the fortunes for an hour or so of this young man and his trials and hardship in early Australia which see him still saying he has had a charmed life. Last night I read how his mother abandoned her whole family to move to Western Australia and remarried. When the large family, now headed by his elderly grandmother, travelled to reunite with his mother who rejected them all again, only choosing a daughter who presumably could help her with her new family. His treatment at the hands of cruel employees  who whipped him, he had gone to work for them when just 8, made me very angry. A true story of courage and frustration, success and hope in a difficult country and family.

I started another book which has been on my VRS for a long time, The Sultan's Seal, but I could not follow it. Perhaps a better read in actual book format. It has a sequel, The Abyssinian Proof, I may try that one later. I have over 30 books on my VRS so plenty of choice although some do not live up to their reviews and my expectations.   

No comments: