Wednesday 12 February 2014

Creative Writing

Procrastination has been my constant companion for over 18 months now due to the interference of a well meaning writing teacher. My creativity was stymied in a way it has never been before. I recently finished reading The Memoir Book  by Patti Miller and found a wonderful exercise which involves writing about someone in your family you know little about and their impact on you. This uses memory, memoir skills, fiction and character writing in a way I have never found before. It is fascinating and I intend using more of her writing prompts in the future. 
Writing is such a fickle way to spend one's day, sometimes the inspiration arrives and I cannot wait to get everything down on paper/computer or in my notebook. Other days my mind wallows in self pity when my inspiration is dead!
 The Trader's Wife (The Traders, #1) 
Last night I started reading this book on my VRS. Unable to sleep I continued reading it fascinated by descriptions of Singapore, racism, business and life in this regulated nation in the 1860's. Books I order from the RNZFB library are often a lucky dip but this one seems easy to read and with the Australian link should be an interesting expose of trading life many years ago.

I ordered 3 books from Amazon a month ago and was becoming quite concerned when my order showed as being in NZ for over a week but had not been delivered. Thankfully my neighbour saw the courier van yesterday and signed for the books. My new hobby, Art Journaling, is the subject of these books and they will be my inspiration for many years to come.    

No comments: