Wednesday 14 May 2014

100 Years Old

My mother was 100 years old on Tuesday. This is a huge achievement, as the youngest of a family of 7 she has led quite a stressful life at times but was very happy to be the centre of attention on Tuesday. We are having a large family party on Sunday, speech writing is the order of the day.

Trawler is not living up to its early promise. Descriptions of unusual fish and the moods of the sea are getting a little wearing. Sea sickness was the theme of the early chapters but I seem unable to follow the route the author is taking. Finishing this book may prove difficult, especially as it is not one which can act as a sleeping draught!
 Zero Degrees of Empathy: A New Theory of Human Cruelty 
This book was recommended to me by the lady I stayed with in Australia. She had read it as she has a son with Aspergers. I am finding the discussion about empathy and the linking of evil and cruelty with neuroscience fascinating. It is not a long book but one which gives the reader insights into a world we all teter at the edge of.

MY DARLING LEMON THYME
I purchased this new cookbook this morning after having it recommended by my Osteopath who is a friend of the author. Gluten free recipes that are nice are often difficult to source so I am sure this book will be well used. A Raglan girl, Emma now lives in Perth and started her blog, My Darling Lemon Thyme several years ago and was stunned to discover how popular it was. This book is the result of many recipes posted on her blog and experimentation to find a diet which suited the allergies which had developed in her children.

No comments: