Saturday 3 May 2014

Smells

I have been varnishing my front door, more correctly staining and varnishing. The smell is overpowering and I have every window and door in the house open as well as Pavarotti turned up really loud on the stereo to distract me from the drying varnish. My brother, who sells these types of doors, has informed me that 2 coats will be sufficient. Thank goodness, each coat takes an hour to put on and over 4 hours to dry.

I am continuing with the book about Anne Perry; I am not encouraged to read any of her books, murder mysteries make good television but are not a genre of book I would consider reading. I am finding that the descriptions of almost tenuous links between her writing and the 5 years she spent in Mount Eden prison almost monotonous and wonder when the pace of the book will increase.

I noticed last night that the movie Philomena   is now available for purchase. I intend to buy a copy of the DVD but find it so different from the book The Lost Child of Philomena Lee that it is two different stories. I have a large number of kindle books as yet unread and diverse as travel, essays, writing guides, cook books, memoirs, Celtic spirituality and the history of the Cathars. Reading on a kindle is definitely not as sensuous as a new book one can savour and fondle the pages of but for me it is an ever increasing necessity if I am to continue reading the printed word and avoid total reliance on talking books. I find it interesting that the first book I ever purchased for my kindle I have yet to read. 

I often trawl my bookshelves for a book to re-read - I may return to Howards End is on the Landing  soon, somehow Susan Hill has the ability to draw the reader in and allow us to sit beside her as she investigates her own library and lifestyle. 

No comments: