Saturday 6 September 2014

Internet Back

Spark has caused disaster in New Zealand over the weekend with malware infecting their whole system. Thankfully it was not a busy workday otherwise the voices may have been heard in Australia as they complained loudly. I think we are all hoping the return is a good sign.

As I become more and more involved with WLM I am amazed at this group of memoir writers and readers worldwide who care for and extend their knowledge so freely. I had been missing contact with Val in Rotterdam and just this morning she has posted a notice saying she is still busy and will be in touch intermittently. Now that I have learnt how to access the free books it is all go for me, I hope my kindle can handle it.

Last night, or perhaps it was early this morning, I finished The Flame Trees of Thika  as the family leave Kenya for Britain to escape the war. I am unsure which war as my history of Africa is quite thin, but if they are going to England it cannot be the first world war although they are talking of fighting Germans.
I will now read several magazines which are backing up on my VRS and then choose another book to enjoy.


This book was free on Amazon yesterday and came highly recommended by a WLM member. After caring for a dying husband Barbara goes on a journey of self discovery which sees her travelling widely and living now between Cornwall and the Andes. Sounds like a really interesting read.

I now have about 20 books I have obtained free or for a very low price on Amazon, I just need a second life to enjoy them all. I think the age of the digital book is growing and more and more people will dispense with the print version and purchase these books which can be enjoyed at will, do not take up space or have to be returned. Only people who resist this emphatically will never learn of the joys that digital reading can bring, especially to people like me who can no longer read normal sized print.

I am about to embark on a dog tidy up - my old chocolate Labrador has to visit the vet tomorrow for her arthritis injection and Jay needs a good trim. Not an easy job but one I tackle willingly to save money as well as care for my beloved dogs. 

No comments: