Saturday 14 June 2014

Adoption

Digging to America

I began reading this last night on my VRS. Initially I assumed it was a non-fiction work but quickly became aware it is fiction. The story of two very different families who meet at Baltimore Airport while waiting for children they have adopted from Korea, lives intertwine and acknowledgement of difference is a theme explored from several angles. One family is all American, the other Iranian immigrants. Simply written it appeals as an easy listen, exploration of adoption - I am adopted - and an expose of what it means to be American. The two small girls seem almost adjunct to the story, I hope they are part of the theme as they grow past babyhood.

I am still enjoying Our House is Definitely not in Paris   on my Kindle. It is both an interesting and subtle memoir, renovating on both sides of the world is not for the fainthearted. Explanations of the simplicity of life in the French countryside are exquisite, especially the bricole and other sources of French memorabilia. This book is enough to make me dream of a month in France - perhaps!

My philosophical and sociological training has made me angrier and angrier about a friend's response to my text regarding my desire to work. It is not all my Piscean nature, her ignorance and opinionated response leaves much to be desired. Why do I allow other people's beliefs to take such precedence in my thinking.

I will be completing one of my archiving positions this week due to difficult working conditions and severe eye strain. While it seems unusual for someone with a 'pieced together' work life to resign from a day's well paid work my health and wellbeing is far more important. I have been offered other work more commensurate with my passions and qualifications, I hope I can align myself with this type of work over the next few weeks. 

No comments: