Friday 13 June 2014

Media

Yesterday I attended a workshop run by 'Think Differently', a section of the Ministry of Social Development who are attempting to change attitudes to disability in the community. It focused on getting positive messages out to the media, print, radio and television. Each participant was interviewed and then their interview was critiqued by the group. Working with high level journalists such as press reporters, Radio NZ journalists and similar was a real privilege.

I have done little reading this week, each book I have attempted on my VRS has ended up with me pushing the delete button and I am ensconced in the Readers Digest at present. I receive voluminous emails from Amazon about books they are certain I should read but in most cases I delete them. Recently I have purchased a large number of books for my kindle and will spend much of the rest of this year perusing them.

I find it disappointing that some authors still refuse to allow their books to be available in e-book format. There are many books I hear of but when checking online discover they are only available in hardcover. While I understand the mores of income for authors and royalties perhaps they do not understand the needs of vision impaired people to access print in the same way as fully sighted people do.

I must get back to my copy of Rushing Women's Syndrome  as it appears I am part of this new phenomenon. This is meant to be a day of fun, hopefully it will include some reading.  

No comments: